The mere thought of the losses caused by somebody using our name was reason enough to set ourselves into getting a trademark. We knew we were growing as a business and that our name was earning a reputation. We were not willing to afford to risk that over a lack of copyright.
What does a copyright do?
A trademark assigns the legal property of the symbols and words of your company. This means that nobody else can use them but you. If they do, they have to request a permission from you.
Once we saw all the rights involved in trademark, we were sure we needed to do that. With a legal trademark, what we were aiming for was:
- To be the only ones with the right to reproduce our original work, in this case, our company.
- To be able to prepare any derivatives works.
- Display the work publicly.
- Distribute copies.
We thought, what are the chances of some other company copying our name and using it for profit? Truth being said, we never really had any of those issues but we thought that legally trademarking our company was the only way to go.
Reasons why we trademarked our company
So here is our rationale on why we made the trademark move. If you own a company, we believe this is a step in consolidating as a solid company. Trademarks influence consumers’ purchasing decisions. It is important for a company to understand the connection between this trademark and reputation.
- The trademark makes it easier for customers to find us. The marketplace is full of so many choices. A trademark helps your clients easily identify you and relate to a positive (or negative) reputation. So we thought we could use a trademark as a powerful tool to attract customer´s attention.
- We can effectively use social media. The media is all about image and everything going fast. If you are getting more visitors to your social media channels, this will generate more traffic to your page, making it available to more people.
- It also increases the hiring rate. When job-seekers can see the effectiveness of a company, they want to work there. If employees have a positive feeling about a company they are much more likely to stay.
- As long as we are within our country’s commerce, our trademark will never expire. So there is no errands and no fuzz.
The work of a trademark can sometimes get a little fuzzy. A group of lawyers Vancouver can be your solution if you are serious about legally trademarking your business.